Thursday, January 26, 2012

Rest in Peace

Christmas just didn't feel the same due to the unexpected loss of my Uncle Paul.

December 23rd my Aunt Clara found him in the living room. While in his favorite chair watching tv he passed away due to a massive heart attack.

He was an 89 year old veteran. My Aunt and Uncle were married for over 65 years and together even longer. I cant even imagine how hard it is for her.

Christmas was on Sunday and I just didn't feel it this year. My husband had to work and came home for lunch to watch the kids open gifts. Overall we celebrated at 9 different places, which means the kids got way too much stuff.

On Monday my husband had to work. The kids and I traveled to my parents house. My mom kept them while my father and I went to Uncle Paul's funeral.

We arrived at the funeral home and our Cousin John was in the parking lot so we all went in together.

Uncle Paul's flowers were so beautiful! There were red roses, carnations, and mums all mixed together with evergreen branches. He looked so at peace. I cried a little. I was so happy to see my Aunt Clara despite the circumstances.

They both mean so much to me. As a child they would write me letters & send me gifts. I have a journal, letter opener, sterling silver and turquoise butterfly necklace, a ceramic jar from New Mexico. A framed drawing of a log cabin by Aunt Clara. (she paints, & draws extremely well and is a published author) All of these things are special to me because of who game them to me. I cherish the letters.

His burial was after the service. It wasn't far from the funeral home. He was buried at the cemetery of the church they attended. I took a photo of my Daddy and Aunt Clara afterwards. Then took a single red rose from his flowers. I dried it out to keep.

After that I took my Daddy to eat at Cracker Barrel in Gadsden. I very much enjoyed having lunch with him. It's not often that I get to do so.

January 4th 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment